Walt.id offers developers and organizations an easy and fast way to adopt decentralized identity.All solutions are open source (Apache 2), based on open standards (W3C, DIF, OIDF, EBSI) and used by governments, public authorities and businesses across industries (e.g. banking and financial services, web3, education, HR, marketplaces):
- SSI Kit for Issuers, Holders and Verifiers (incl. support for different types of keys, DIDs, VCs, data exchange protocols)
- Wallet that enables developers to extend their (d)apps with SSI capabilities (Also, available for white labeling.)
Growing portfolio of decentralized identity infrastructure solutions for developers and organizations.
Background: Serial entrepreneur with business and legal backgrounds.
Identity expert to the EU Commission and co-author of new EU identity standards (EBSI, ESSIF).
Background: Serial entrepreneur and experienced technical leader.
Over 15 years of experience in security and identity including biometric passports.
Role: Chief Architect & Engineer | Technical leader and developer.
Background: Over 15 years of experience in computer science, software design and development (security, big data, AI/ML, …).
Role: People and Operations
Background: Serial entrepreneur, Ex-Deloitte Consultant, Former start-up COO, Forbes 30 under 30 (US, DACH).
Background: Experienced software developer in web3/blockchain space.
deltaDAO AG will assist with knowledge-transfer within the Ocean and Gaia-X communities and regarding questions to the Ocean Tech Stack. deltaDAO AG will not receive any of the fundings raised within this proposal.
New open source infrastructure for developers that enable NFT-based access management (for any application or data marketplace).
The Problem/Use Case
With this project we enable providers of data marketplaces - or other applications built on the OCEAN ecosystem - to offer NFT-based access management. In other words, any service provider will be able to make access to information, services, products or any other benefits dependent on the ownership of certain NFTs. This way NFTs can be used to authenticate or even identify users. (Note: There are certain limitations related to NFTs of natural persons due to GDPR issues with on-chain data storage.)
The result is a seamless onboarding/sign up or authentication/login process by which users can sign into any application with a one-click process simply by proving ownership over a NFT. There is no longer the need for usernames, passwords, forms, uploads or other cumbersome requirements to turn onboarding and access management into tiresome processes.
The Product/Tech. Stack
Infrastructure product (library/web-service) called “NFT Kit” that enables developers and businesses to build NFT-based access management into their applications and services. Importantly, any type of NFT can be used, including OCEAN’s new “data NFTs” (based on ERC-721). The NFT Kit will furthermore be integrated in the walt.id identity wallet in order to review and present data NFTs based on the OCEAN protocol.
The product (NFT Kit) can be deployed and run flexibly by anyone, anywhere:
- Integration as Microservice (Self-managed by user)
- Direct Integration of Library (Self-managed by user)
More technical information about the product:
- Support for any EVM-compatible ecosystem (e.g. ETH, Polygon, Solana, …)
- Support for ERC-721 incl. OCEAN’s data NFTs (extendable to ERC-1155)
- Support for third party wallets (e.g. Metamask)
- Verification of NFT ownership and metadata/content
- Integration (data) NFTs with our open source wallet (e.g. as to display data NFTs in our open source wallet)
- Mapping of (data) NFTs to OIDC claims for access control
We will be published under the permissive Apache 2 license in our GitHub library: https://github.com/walt-id.
(1) Library/Web Service: We will provide an open source library/web service (Apache 2) that offers all functionality required for the verification of NFTs and access management - aligned with OCEAN protocols requirements (V4).
(2) Wallet extension: We will extend our open source wallet with the ability to showcase and “present” NFTs for access management. (We offer this because most wallets, incl. Metamask, cannot display NFTs with a few exceptions e.g. NFTs minted on the ETH Mainchain from OpenSea).
(3) Demo: We will provide a demo to showcase the project results (via command line and/or wallet)
(4) Documentation: Technical documentation of the project for developers.
The idea behind this project is to enable every developer and every organization who are building applications for the OCEAN ecosystem to offer a more seamless onboarding and access experiences to their end-users - including access management that utilizes OCEAN’s new data NFTs.
We believe that this project has the potential to (1) increase the usage of OCEAN and (2) add value to the overall community / ecosystem. Also, we will ensure the (3) success of the project just like we did with our last proposals. Consequently, the project will likely have a significant positive impact on the OCEAN ecosystem.
The following list shows the concrete benefits of this project and NFT-based access management:
- Effortless user experience for onboarding (new users) and log in (known users)
- Increased Conversion Rates (one click process vs. cumbersome web2 signup/login)
- Decreased help desk requests (no “forgot password”)
- Prevention of fraud and malicious behavior (e.g. SPAM, Sybill attacks)
- Enhanced Security (elimination of risk factors like passwords and aggregated data storage)
You can find more information on the use NFTs for identity use cases and its value in this white paper: https://walt.id/decentralized-identity-explained/nfts
Finally, we wish to note that this project is aligned with the value created for the OCEAN ecosystem by our last two projects, i.e. to enable the use of Self-Sovereign Identity (SSI) for developers within the OCEAN ecosystem. Following the idea underlying our last project, we will continue to provide more and more tools to facilitate the integration of Decentralized Identity systems (SSI, NFTs) within the OCEAN ecosystem for developers.
You can find more information about the difference between NFTs and SSI (Self-Sovereign Identity) in this white paper: https://walt.id/decentralized-identity-explained/ssi-vs-nfts