Name of Project:
walt.id – SIWE & NFT-based access management for web2
Proposal in one sentence:
New open source infrastructure for developers that unlocks “Sign-in with Ethereum” (EIP-4361; SIWE) and NFT-based access management for legacy enterprise identity infrastructure via OpenID connect (OIDC) in order to bridge web2 and web3.
Description of the project and what problem is it solving: (You can give more details in “proposal details” section farther down.)
With this project we enable web2 companies or traditional applications to allow their stakeholders to access services with their wallets (via SIWE and Ocean Protocols data NFTs).
Our last project (Round 16) resulted in open source infrastructure (“NFT Kit”) that enables web3 service providers to make access to information, services, products or any other benefits dependent on the ownership of certain NFTs. In other words, it enabled the use of NFTs for authentication or even identification. This project (Round 19) will unlock wallet- and NFT-based access management and identification for a much broader group, namely for any web2 company building traditional / web2 applications. Moreover, we will offer a solution for implementing customizable verification policies to further enhance access management capabilities for target groups.
As a result, this project will extend our existing web3 authentication solutions with
- a protocol (“Sign in With Ethereum”)
- a component for bridging web2 and web3 (an OIDC-compliant Identity Provider, “IDP Kit”)
- a component for enabling customizable, machine-readable access policies.
which will provide legacy identity infrastructure with the ability to handle new web3 objects like wallets and NFTs.
At the end of the day, users will benefit from a seamless onboarding/sign up or authentication/login process for signing into any application with a one-click process based on their wallets and NFT. (Usernames, passwords, forms, uploads etc. will be rendered unnecessary.)
Grant Deliverables: (Target deliverables for the funding provided.)
(1) SIWE Library/Web Service: We will provide an open source library/web service (Apache 2) that implements Sign in with Ethereum (SIWE) in Kotlin to facilitate uptake by enterprises (who mostly use Java/JVM).
(2) “IDP Kit” Library/Web Service: We will provide an open source library/web service (Apache 2) that implements an identity provider (IDP) which will “sit between” traditional identity and assessment tools (e.g. KeyCloak) and web3 auth solutions (e.g. walt.id’s SSI Kit or NFT Kit). This IDP will then be able translate NFTs (and related verification results) into a token format that can be re-used by traditional tools.
(3) “Policy Engine” Library/Web Service: We will provide an open source library/web service (Apache 2) that implements a policy engine which allows developers to easily define customizable and machine-readable verification and access policies based on the “Open Policy Agent” (and REGO).
(3) Demo: We will provide a demo to showcase the project results (via command line and/or wallet)
(4) Documentation: Technical documentation of the project for developers.
Which category best describes your project? Pick one.
- X Build / improve applications or integrations to Ocean
Are you applying for an earmark?
- X General
What is the final product?
The final project results will be three infrastructure components (libraries):
- “SIWE” which enables developers and businesses to unlock EVM-wallet-based access management for their applications and services.
- “IDP Kit” which enables developers and businesses to unlock NFT-based access management for their web2 applications and services. This component will translate NFTs to token standards that can be used by traditional identity and assessment tools (e.g. KeyCloak).
- “Policy Engine” which enables developers to easily define customizable and machine-readable verification and access policies based on the “Open Policy Agent”.
The product (IDP Kit) can be deployed and run flexibly by anyone, anywhere:
- Integration as Microservice (Self-managed by user)
- Direct Integration of Library (Self-managed by user)
All deliverables will be published under the permissive Apache 2 license in our GitHub library: walt.id · GitHub.
Here are possible “value add” criteria. A question will follow.
- Usage of Ocean — how well might the project drive usage of Ocean. Measure with e.g. Data Consume Volume, # assets published, TVL, Network Revenue, # active users, # funded projects.
- Viability — what is the chance of success of the project
- Community active-ness — how active is the team in the community
- Adding value to the overall community — how well does the outcome of the project add value to the Ocean community / ecosystem
**Question on “value add” criteria: which one or more of the criteria will your project focus on? Why do you believe your team will do well on those criteria? **
The idea behind this project is to enable the mainstream adoption of wallets- and NFTs for authentication, access management or even identification. Importantly, every developer and every organization - regardless of whether they are already building applications for the OCEAN ecosystem or not - will be able to offer seamless onboarding and access experiences to their end-users - including access management that utilizes OCEAN’s data NFTs.
We believe that this project has the potential to (1) increase the usage of OCEAN and (2) add value to the overall community / ecosystem. Also, we will ensure the (3) success of the project just like we did with our last proposals. Consequently, the project will likely have a significant positive impact on the OCEAN ecosystem.
The following list shows the concrete benefits of this project and NFT-based access management which (!) will be unlocked for potentially any web2 company / application (!): (1) Effortless user experience for onboarding (new users) and log in (known users); (2) Increased Conversion Rates (one click process vs. cumbersome web2 signup/login); (3) Decreased help desk requests (no “forgot password”); (4) Prevention of fraud and malicious behavior (e.g. SPAM, Sybill attacks); (5) Enhanced Security (elimination of risk factors like passwords and aggregated data storage)
Finally, we wish to note that this project is aligned with the value created for the OCEAN ecosystem by our last three projects, particularly the last project which was about enabling generic capabilities for NFT-based access management. We will continue to provide more and more tools to facilitate the integration of Decentralized Identity systems (SSI, NFTs) within the OCEAN ecosystem for developers.
If you’re interested to learn more about the use of NFTs for identity use cases, check out this white paper: Introduction: NFTs for identity — walt.id
Funding Requested: (Amount of USD your team is requesting)
$ 20.000 (twenty thousand)
(Minimum Funding: $ 10.000 (ten thousand))
Proposal Wallet Address: (must have minimum 500 OCEAN in wallet to be eligible. This wallet is where you will receive the grant amount if selected).
Have you previously received an OceanDAO Grant? If yes, please specify what round(s) and how much was granted each round.
Y (Rounds 10, 12, 14, 16)
Team Website (if applicable):
Twitter Handle (if applicable):
Project lead email:
Country of Residence:
IMPORTANT: See Criterion (4). One Project/One proposal on communicating “Core Team” versus “Advisor”. You may be ineligible if not correctly updated.
For each team member, give their name, role and background. An example is below.
Background: Serial entrepreneur with business and legal backgrounds.
Identity expert to the EU Commission and co-author of new EU identity standards (EBSI, ESSIF).
GitHub: philpotisk · GitHub
Background: Serial entrepreneur and experienced technical leader.
Over 15 years of experience in security and identity including biometric passports.
Role: Chief Architect & Engineer | Technical leader and developer.
Background: Over 15 years of experience in computer science, software design and development (security, big data, AI/ML, …).
Role: People and Operations
Background: Serial entrepreneur, Ex-Deloitte Consultant, Former start-up COO, Forbes 30 under 30 (US, DACH).
Background: Experienced software developer in web3/blockchain space.
For each Advisor, give their name, role and background. Use the same format as in “Core Team”.
GitHub: deltaDAO · GitHub
deltaDAO AG will assist with onboarding into the Ocean and Gaia-X communities as well as any questions regarding the Ocean Tech Stack. deltaDAO AG will not receive any of the fundings raised within this proposal.
Details of the proposal:
Is the software open-source?
**If open-source, please specify the license. If no, please specify why not open-source. **
Project software can be found at:
Are there any mockups or designs to date? If yes, please share details / links.
**Please given an overview of the technology stack. **
For details on the technology stack, please consult our documentation: https://docs.walt.id/
Any prior work completed thus far? Details?
Yes. See deliverables of our last proposals (Round 10, 12, 14, 16)
What is the project roadmap? That is: what are key milestones, and the target date for each milestone. Please make sure that one milestone is about publishing your results, e.g. as a medium blog post.
- Library (SIWE)
- Library (Policy Engine)
- Library (IDP Kit)
- Publication of documentation
What is the team’s future plans and intentions? Is there maintenance? Possible extensions to the work?
This project extends our core open source product suite: the SSI Kit, NFT Kit and Wallet. Our products are already used by governments across Europe and businesses across industries. Also, we are constantly growing our developer community. Consequently, we will continue to maintain our open source software / libs and continue to add features as well as new products.