Onboard - web3, in your hands
Onboard seeks to be the best onboarding and engagement tool for DAOs. Our current version is a no-code solution that allows DAOs to create onboarding pathways into their respective DAO, to ensure efficient placement of informed DAO members. Our team supports the process of creating gamified learning paths for partnered DAOs.
Our proposal for grant round 21 is twofold: (1) we will create learning pathways in the Onboard UI on the Data DeFi & ComputeToData Ocean Academy courses, and; (2) we will improve the UX when creating OceanDAO/Ocean Protocol learning paths. We will also be sure to post about this activity on our socials, in line with our past posts from official Onboard channels, as well as from our personal social media profiles. (1) and (2) will be discussed further below.
On (1): the Ocean Academy (https://www.oceanacademy.io/) is an excellent and comprehensive source of learning. However, it is designed for those that already aspire to become Ocean Ambassadors and may be considered daunting for newly onboarded members due to its length and complexity. For grant round 19, we distilled the necessary information from the Ocean 101 module, creating a short, ‘Academy lite’ version (proof to this effect is available at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cP1GN2kMurRgvMRzcYFMRw56h3WUFjnV/view?usp=sharing). This acts as a primer to the actual 23-chapter, 3 hour-long, 101 module, and also leads to better retention of the key information in anticipation of Ocean Academy completion. Not only this, but it also crucially stimulates curiosity in new joiners, making it more likely that they will try to become Ambassadors.
For our Grant Round 21 proposal, we will do the same for the “Intro to Data Defi” and “ComputeToData” Academy modules. This will provide the same benefits as those mentioned above regarding the 101 module: stimulation of curiosity, a lower barrier to entry and better retention of key information, ensuring that the path to becoming an Ocean Ambassador is made as smooth and attractive as possible for new joiners.
Regarding (2): the user experience for creating OceanDAO learning paths needs to be improved. This would involve fine-tuning the technical connection between the quest builder and user interface, as we encountered bugs when trying to edit and save our Ocean 101 learning path. Furthermore, there are some issues related to UI/UX; for example, more intuitive placement of important buttons will be a priority, as well as ensuring that an overview of already submitted pages in the Quest Builder is readily visible, to decrease to the greatest extent confusion on the user side. We will also build in the functionality of allowing multiple-choice questions to have multiple correct answers, rather than just one correct answer.
To ensure a high standard of transparency is maintained, please see below a breakdown of the value of Onboard’s work on this proposal.
ROUND 21 cost breakdown
Liaising/researching DAO needs - 1500 USD - 20%
Going through Ocean Academy Intro to DataDefi + distilling most important elements - 750 USD - 10%
Creating Learning Path Ocean Academy Lite version of Intro to DataDefi - 1000 USD - 13.33%
Going through Ocean Academy ComputeToData + distilling most important elements - 750 USD - 10%
Creating Learning Path Ocean Academy Lite version of ComputeToData - 1000 USD 13.33%
Technical updates - 2500 USD - 33.33%
(1) Learning pathways in the Onboard UI on Data DeFi and ComputeToData; and, (2) improvements to the UI/UX when creating OceanDAO/Ocean Protocol learning paths.
*DISCLAIMER: Due to the perceived value of our deliverables, if we were to gain our minimum requested value, we would only be in a position to deliver the Data Defi learning pathway and the technical updates.
Past the use of cryptocurrenecies and NFTs, many people do not realise the different applications of crypto and web3. It is important for our generation to understand the power of blockchain technology’s ability to increase users’ data sovereignty and privacy.
Onboard will provide a data sovereignty course that covers Ocean, and eventually integrate a Quiz and Quest and more Ocean related features into our metaverse game, that will increase awareness and lead to a great number of individuals understanding interacting with protocols that increase our data sovereignty such as Ocean market.
The end goal is to develop credentials based on the users learnings that can be used to prove web3 competency, and then also build data sets that enable information about the users’ onboarding process to be shared in a decentralized, privacy-embracing, and secure way to ease the process of contributing to our web3 partners.
The key goal for Onboard in our partnership with OceanDAO is to drive value for the Ocean Protocol community, in support of Ocean's mission to give control of data back to those generating it.
We believe our current proposal will:
- Increase the number of Ocean Ambassadors: as mentioned, a 'lite' version of the Academy will stimulate curiosity and lower the barrier to entry, priming people to become Ambassadors.
- Increase the usage of Ocean Protocol by increasing the potential holders of Ocean and those that understand the importance of the mission, and Ocean's promise.
- Improve the UX of our Quest Builder: the eventual goal is that members of OceanDAO can indicate where the DAO might need improvement, and use Onboard to bring this improvement about. This may be from Onboard itself, or our solution may be able to be made into a whitelabel solution. In any case, any improvement in the UX would make people more likely to use the Quest Builder to contribute key learning material.
Part of Onboard's mission is to create new, capable web3 citizens. These can then be funneled on into DAOs like OceanDAO, for what we believe will be a better future of work. By establishing a platform that incentivizes users to learn about web3, and rewarding them with SBTs, we capture a group that can then shift their attention on to DAOs. Given Ocean's strong message and mission, OceanDAO is an attractive DAO to join. Onboard would consequently reduce the customer acquisition cost for all the different Ocean protocol projects.
Often, single grants can lack context and belie the effort that a team is committed to putting in when running a large-scale project. Many roadmaps change as projects develop, but we are happy to show OceanDAO the direction that we are headed in - and grateful to receive the inputs from the community at the same time. For our (current, dynamic (and, yes, somewhat redacted)) roadmap, please see the Miro board at the following link: https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVPahcfDQ=/?share_link_id=844811085226.
Please note that this is a very preliminary sketch of what we plan to offer, and some elements are left out. In any case, we may not need to go down the route all the way to the full 100K USD - as we are iterating as we go along, please see the roadmap as flexible.
Name: Nathan Vandy
Nathan Vandy is a web3 legal and business advisor who has been researching, working, and building in the blockchain space since 2017. During this time, he not only supported blockchain-based projects with start-ups, FTSE 100 companies and governments but also supported the development of blockchain-based research with INATBA, an association initiated by the EU Commission.
With a strong background in entrepreneurship, wide knowledge of blockchain technology and background in educating various stakeholders on blockchain’s strengths and weaknesses, he now leads at Onboard, working with the team to build a metaverse game that educates the masses on web3 and the open metaverse.
- Role: Project Lead at Onboard
- Relevant Credentials:
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathan-vandy-0804a1b1/
- Legal and business advisor for blockchain-based projects at WACEO
- Blockchain legal and governance expert
- PhD Candidate in Blockchain Governance at Paris University II and Havard University
- Finalist in of 2017 Swiss Legal-tech Hackathon
- Winner of the 2019 Brightlands Incubator
- Master Thesis in data protection implications of blockchain implementations
- Authorship in Position Paper by the INATBA’s Identity Working Group: Decentralised Identity: What’s at Stake? (2021)
- Authorship in Report by INATBA’s Privacy Working Group: Data Privacy Regulations Applicable to Blockchain Technology in Various Jurisdictions Worldwide (2021)
- Authorship in Report by INATBA’s Policy Notes on Decentralised Finance, DAOs, NFTs and Policy Recommendations
Name: Daniel Okownkwo
- Bio: Specialties: Digital Identity, Regulatory Compliance Applications, LDAP, SSO, API Specialist, Web Services, GUI and Blockchain.
Build tooling with Grunt and Gulp.
Blockchain: Cryptocurrency & Smart Contracts on ETH2.0 with Solidity - full stack development.
Systems development: UNIX, Hardware analysis, business process auditing and IoT solutions.
Mobile Applications: Mobile Connect, SMS, USSD, SMPP, GIS with MIDP/CLDC, native iOS development with Objective C, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry app development with PhoneGap/Cordova.
Cloud: AWS, EBS, Docker
Humanities: Overcoming communications difficulties between stakeholders in IT relationships and life skills mentor.
- Role: Tech Lead
- 20+ years experience as a programmer
- 1-year experience as blockchain developer
Minimum Funding Requested