Building on-ramps for Web3 data asset buyers & sellers to Ocean Protocol (e.g. NFT, Crypto, DAO & DeFi related data assets).
We’re helping to onboard Web3 data asset buyers & sellers to Ocean Protocol. We connect via outreach activities and guide them through the on-boarding process, creating data assets from on-chain data and publishing them to Ocean Market. Ocean Missions is built on the belief that on-chain & Web3 data provides the lowest barrier to entry for wider market adoption of Ocean Protocol.
In February we began our data marketplace discovery work, recorded 3 new episodes of the Ocean Missions Campfire Podcast (will be released in March) and continued receiving registrations for our data token airdrops.
Unfortunately our request for funding in R14 was unsuccesful but we continued working towards our goals.
We use OKRs to identify and prioritise grant deliverables:
Objective 1 - Community Onboarding
- Release the Ocean Missions Campfire Podcast on all major platforms (Spotify, iTunes etc).
- Publish the existing 4 episodes and an additional 3 new episodes (DataUnion, Algovera & On-chain data science) with supporting outreach on Twitter, Linkedin, Discord & Reddit.
- Register 100 new new data token users through Ocean Missions Airdrops.
Objective 2 - Improve Data Asset Quality
- Complete and release a new landing page to test data marketplace.
- Interview potential data providers to refine data marketplace positioning and proposition.
Objective 3 - Extend Runway
- Update Ocean Missions Services offering based on new learnings.
- Reach out to 10+ potential data services buyers.
Outreach / community / spread awareness
The final product is a decentralised community for Ocean Protocol data asset creators to build &/or publish on-chain data assets. These could be community owned data assets, client sponsored data missions or data led products built with on-chain data assets (e.g. Maiden Voyage). These will also be sold through a Web3 focussed decentralised data marketplace helping to solve the demand side.
To learn more about this, you can read our vision to create a blockchain analytics organisation that’s co-owned by its members built on Ocean Protocol and our Go to market approach for a Web3 data marketplace. Both sides are necessary to build a market for Web3 data on Ocean Protocol.
Which one or more of the criteria will your project focus on? Why do you believe your team will do well on those criteria?
Usage of Ocean:
We want to build an on-ramp to Ocean Protocol via on-chain data, helping users experiment and use Ocean Protocol within a market which already ‘gets it’ (Web3 data). Ocean Missions members will create &/or publish on-chain data assets on Ocean Protocol which will increase the usage of Ocean through all key metrics to various degrees including DCV, # assets published, TVL, network revenue & active users. By attracting and on-boarding data scientists, developers and product people to Ocean Protocol, some will apply for funding through the Ocean DAO contributing towards # funded projects.
Adding value to the overall community:
Ocean Missions helps to increase awareness of Ocean Protocol by continuing to publish and promote outreach content.
- What is Ocean Protocol’s Data Marketplace?
- A guide to DAO voting for $OCEAN holders
- Reducing bias in AI models with Ocean’s Compute to Data
- Exposing Rugpull Risk on the Ethereum Blockchain
- Ocean Protocol & Blockchain in India
- How to prepare data assets for Ocean Market
- How to upload data assets to Ocean Market
- Register for Data Token Airdrops
This content attracts people to both Ocean Missions and Ocean Protocol. By helping new users get familiar with Ocean Protocol via on-chain data it’s likely some will move to other areas (e.g. healthcare) well equipped with a working knowledge of Ocean Protocol.
Over the last 7 months we have continued producing and sharing content at every milestone while starting to foster an ecosystem around Ocean Protocol and on-chain data. Community support for Ocean Protocol & Web3 data is strong and we now have a great founding team to continue executing on the vision.
R5 3,750 Ocean
R8 28,302 Ocean
R11 6,679 Ocean
R12 7,966 Ocean
R13 15,862 Ocean
Scottmilat (at) gmail (dot) com
Country of residence: Bahrain (from: New Zealand )
The core team consists of 4 members and we are joined by a growing number of community contributors and bounty hunters.
- Project Lead
- Enterprise business development, contract negotiations and sales
- Software product development
- Communications and Marketing
- Web3 experience: 5 Years
- Professional Website
- Data scientist with 10 years of experience building market health, analytics, and optimization software; led marketplace team at Lyft Inc. across science and engineering; working on bringing and expanding these technologies in Web3
- Active member of OceanDAO (focusing on Parameters & Roadmap), Token Engineering Academy (focusing on reward and voting systems in the Governauts initiative) & completed Ocean DAO grants Analytics Framework
- Working on projects at the intersection of Data and DeFi, including development of Cofund – a new protocol to fund Web3 work.
- Ph.D. in Operations Research (Columbia University) and M.Sc. in Economics (Bocconi University); my applied research on online markets and US patents for systems I built have 100+ citations (Google Scholar 1)
We have since identified the data assets we believe are most likely to sell on Ocean Market today.
Our project’s financial record can be found here.
- 3 new episodes will be published to Episodes - Ocean Missions
- Landing page to test data markeplace will be shared at (URL tbc)
All content we produce will be published on our blog and shared via twitter, linkedin, reddit and telegram (when suitable).
All deliverables for R15 will be complete by 31 March. Our development approach is iterative allowing us to focus on specific tasks/areas as required while continuing to work towards our overarching vision.
We plan to continue building very closely to the Ocean DAO and become financially sustainable through our services offering and a data marketplace for on-chain data assets built using Ocean.