Build on Ocean | Build On Ocean Cohort 2 | Round 20

Project Name

Build on Ocean

Project Category

Build & Integrate

Proposal Earmark

General

Proposal Description

Like the Build on Ocean cohort 1 (Build on Ocean | Build on Ocean Cohort 1 | Round 16), which we launched on 4th June, we aim to continue onboarding more and more solidity devs onto Ocean APIs.

As part of “Build on Ocean” cohort 2, we will launch a 2nd cohort for training developers to build using ocean APIs. Fundamentals would be covered using Ocean Academy course “Ocean 101”. We will also deploy JS/ python programs for publishing data sets and consuming them using the Official documentation for ocean.js and ocean.py code examples. Ocean Code Repositories will also be deep dived.

The bootcamp will be 8 weeks long. Sessions will be held every Friday starting from 9th September and we will form Telegram Study groups. There will be office hours for solving doubts.

Details of the program: https://www.notion.so/Build-On-Ocean-21dd4f97fc094b44b269217237d48ced

Cohort 1 Completion Details:

A total of 15 participants joined the 8 week training on each saturday and will apply for grants to build in the Ocean ecosystem for their project ideas.

Launch tweet: https://twitter.com/kratijain/status/1529768000953339904?s=20&t=jhOAl4A-Fk3iVVizneynWA

Telegram group of developers onboarded to Ocean: https://t.me/+-naTWr7Iak03ODY1

Session recordings: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR1J-S-3gW7xFfKH4RqUrqGbaJoMj7j8f

Grant Deliverables

6 Week Workshops schedule:

Week 1: Blockchain Programming Fundamentals

Week 2: Deploy your first Solidity Program

Week 3: Ocean Fundamentals using Ocean 101 Academy Course

Week 4: Using Test Ocean on Rinkeby to publish / consume data on Ocean market v4

Week 5: Deep dive into Ocean.js, Ocean.py, Provider APIs

Week 6: Publish data and consume data using ocean.py

2 Week Case Studies + Ideation:

Week 7: Case study of Past Projects built on Ocean

Week 8: Idea generation and Ocean Grant process

Project Description

Step 1:

As part of “Build on Ocean” we will launch a cohort for training developers for building on ocean using the Ocean Academy course “Ocean 101”. Usually the bootcamp will be 1.5 month long and will cover 3-4 chapters every session. Sessions will be held every saturday starting from 9th April.

Step 2:

We will also create cohort study groups and solve their doubts. This will accelerate their progress and boost the confidence by shorter doubt resolution times.

Step 3:

Once the bootcamp complete is complete after 5 weeks, we will take 2 weeks to perform case studies for any 2 project built on top of ocean ecosystem. This will help them visualize how to compose on top of ocean APIs.

Step 4:

In week 8 we will form groups amongst the cohort and attempt for open bounties. This will engage them to contribute to ocean ecosystem. Mentoring will be provided during the bounties are attempted.

Final Product

Final product is to increase active development on top of Ocean APIs by training more developers by the end of 1.5 months.

Value Add Criteria

Community Value:

We will onboard more developers who will then attempt for bug bounties, build projects on Ocean ecosystem

Core Team

Krati Jain

Advisors

Dr.Prakash

Funding Requested

Minimum Funding Requested

Wallet Address
0x44AC194359fA44eCe6Cb2E53E8c90547BCCb95a0

Hey, I would advise to lower your minimum funding amount significantly - with quadratic funding it becomes very hard to get exactly the amount you are asking for. If that is the case e.g. you get 2999$ funding because you get a lot of votes, then you would get no funding at all with your current settings.

Thanks for the suggestion Robin. At the moment, I am planning to do 2nd cohort for Building on Ocean only if I get the required funding of 3k USD, which is already very less for 8 weeks of bootcamp. Usually 8 week bootcamps require funding of 15k+ USD but I am cutting down costs by managing operations, community and content all by myself.

This is not because of the amount but more a technical thing. Don’t get me wrong.

The quadratic funding that is used is not mapping well to a minimum amount = to the maximum amount. Only if you receive a large amount of votes. So to stay on the safe side it makes sense to lower the minimum amount requested.

Checkout this website to understand how quadratic funding works:

Hi @kratijain,

1. I’m wondering if anyone from the community, such as ambassadors or otherwise, helped to promote or create visibility around the event?
  2. I’m wondering if you are planning to perhaps record this, or create ever-green content around this syllabus such as what https://twitter.com/PatrickAlphaC is doing with Ethereum (32h solidity course).

I think it’s great that you’re focused on increasing developer outreach and onboarding, however I’m worried that a 8 week process is very overhead heavy. Why not create something smaller and iterate?

All the best,

• Idiom
1 Like

@idiom-bytes the recordings can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR1J-S-3gW7xFfKH4RqUrqGbaJoMj7j8f

Thus far, 5 sessions have been recorded.

2 Likes

Thank you for highlighting that @DMats!
I noticed them in the proposal now.

@kratijain I would still like to know more about Q1 & Q2.

Personally, I am really enjoying seeing your videos.

[Feedback / Opportunities]
I would personally love to see more of this type of content, and organized it in a way that makes it easier for people to consume. Either a notion website, a github repo, or something very simple, that enables anyone to easily navigate all of it.

Example 1: https://vyper-by-example.org/
Example 2: GitHub - scaffold-eth/scaffold-eth: 🏗 forkable Ethereum dev stack focused on fast product iterations

Another idea for insipiration (and to break this down what you’re doing into more digestable pieces + evergreen concept) would be to create a video series that covers all of the expamples inside of Akshay’s playground. This is just an extension of the examples that already exist here in Ocean.js but are not working

If you wanted to build a business around this, you could leverage what I described here into a funnel, creating leads for others who may want private sessions, or consultation from an “Ocean engineering expert”.

[Digestable Content vs. Long Form Syllabus]
As you can see, these types of onboarding/series/content, enables us to establish content that lives for a long time, and breaks us away from contrived courses that are likely to have huge drop-off rates.

I remember others who had delivered full course syllabus (I think it was a free course of Coursera) and have no idea if these things are still around, or how many people started vs. completed it.

If you do want to go this route, I recommend thinking of how to provide something digestable (for free) which you can then monetize with 1-1 support and better rates (i.e. $500 for a 5-hour consultation package, or advanced full-length course).

I really recommend keeping things small and digestable also makes them easier to maintain, and increase likelyhood that participants not only start, but finish it too!

All the best!

1 Like

I’d also like to hear answers to @idiom-bytes 's Q1 and Q2.

I’m left wondering if the effectiveness of this cohort idea could be amplified with better marketing (via ambassadors) or with more polished content that can be consumed asynchronously (like the PatrickAlphaC course @idiom-bytes mentioned).

I’d also be interested to see metrics like how many of the cohort participants attended the live sessions and how many of them actually submitted proposals to the OceanDAO

Nonetheless, after viewing samples from the Build On Ocean Cohort 1 recordings, I have voted YES for Cohort 2. I hope to see @kratijain continue to build and polish a curriculum that will teach and encourage devs to build on Ocean.

2 Likes

Thanks for going through the recordings of the session @DMats and @idiom-bytes .

1. I can plan a shorter cohort of 5 weeks (4 weeks content + 1 week ideation/grant application)
  2. I thought of creating pre-recorded video series for this which devs can consume async but often devs face issue with installation or course can become outdated with software upgrades. Hence I thought live sessions are better from relevance and doubt solving view. Otherwise I will have to re-record parts of the session and provide offline support for doubt solving which I believe is not possible with current request of 3k USD.
  3. To answer @DMats question, there was a twitter post announcing this cohort which was retweeted by several key ocean members. However we wanted to keep costs low so we didnt have a full fledged marketing plan.
  4. Still collecting data around how many students came up with a proposal. Will share soon.
  5. Can you please confirm what you mean by Q1 Q2 plan @idiom-bytes ?

Hi @kratijain, I wanted to share here and propose you consider focusing on #2.

#1 is a big investment on your part. I really recommend you consider creating smaller, more ‘Evergreen’ content.

#3 I’m happy you didn’t spend too much on marketing. I’d recommend more on building this content and making it good. There are opportunities with other groups to increase visibility towards this content.

#4 Can you maybe share how many students sign up - are they paying? (I.e. My goal is also to think of ways for how to make this sustainable for you).

#5 I wanted to know if you recorded your previous session, and if people from the community helped to promote/increase visibility towards your event.

Thanks for listening Kratijain. It would be great to chat more about this with you so I can understand better what your goals are.

I gave you a substantial amount of votes in support, however I still believe and will continue recommending you focus on building smaler, more digestable content (evergreen educational material) Build on Ocean | Build On Ocean Cohort 2 | Round 20 - #7 by idiom-bytes because it’s an asset you can continue building over time, has quicker iterations, and a good effort:outcome ratio that enables you to learn. Example: “What are the topics that people really want to hear about?” => check # of views

I think your curriculum is great. If I were to build something to target the existing web3 developer crowd, I would start somewhere between week 3-6.

• This is the meat and potatoes of the course.
  • There is a lot of very valuable knowledge in there - such as “How to deploy barge”
  • There are a lot of tutorials inside ocean.js and ocean.py that could use an accompanying video
  • #developer-support is one of our most active channels. You would immediately impact this crowd in a very positive way!

Thanks for your work so far @kratijain!