WeDataNation | Upload mechanism V1.0 | Round 18

Project Name

WeDataNation

Project Category

Build & Integrate

Proposal Earmark

General

Proposal Description

With this grant we will cover the final costs for the development of the first version of the upload & import mechanism for social media / e-commerce datasets of individuals. Additionally the development of the first data-analytics mechanism will begin.

Grant Deliverables

• Upload & Import function for social media / e-commerce data of individuals
  • Grow follower base of all WDN social media channels
  • Minimum 6 Translations of Ocean blog articles for the german community
  • Increase potential customer base of german companies & marketing agencies for the market research solutions we are offering
  • Keep up cooperation with and try to achieve investment of Blockchain-Founders-Group

Project Description

WeDataNation is a project to create a counterweight to today’s big-tech dominated data aggregation economy, to finally put the power over data into the hands of its rightful owners.

The core developement started in February 2022 as part of the Blockchain Founders Group Accelerator Programme; By participating, we were able to win over some of the most renowned German professors and visionaries in the field of blockchain as advisors by conviction for our project.

Furthermore, there is a cooperation with DataUnion and mPowered, two companies that have been actively working in the ocean protocol community for many years.

WeDataNation adds value to Ocean Protocol’s vision of unlocking a decentralized Web 3.0 Data Economy through the following contributions :

Development :

• Easy to use app for individuals to get insights on their data from various sources (social media, e-commerce, gaming, streaming, wallet), decide on its usage, validate datasets and earn passive income through the monetization mode
  • Webportal to create and validate algorithms and earn passive income for the provision

Outreach :

• Actively promoting Ocean Protocol in articles and postings for the broad masses and to potential investor and person of interests through pitches, interviews or other forms of networking (Ocean Protocol is always presented as the underlying technology on which WeDataNation designs all of it`s targeted services

Final Product

The final product will be a system which contains data of private individuals, who are willing to grant permission to this data via Ocean Protocol’s compute-to-data in exchange for a financial compensation.

Value Add Criteria

Usage of Ocean Protocol:

We will add a significant data-consume volume to the network through finding a lot of lead-customers whose only way to analyze the data we provide is to purchase access rights via the ocean protocol

Viability very likely through four aspects:

• Partnership and support of DataUnion & mPowered
  • Broad connected ecosystem inside the financial & startup branch, through 8 years of background from our CEO.
  • Worldwide networking through Blockchain-Founders-Group
  • Actively seeking investors to secure further support, collaborations or accelerator programmes.

Community active-ness:

Our technical advisor Robin Lehman (CEO & CTO - DataUnion Foundation) is a member of the DAO for many years. Our CEO Henry Griesbach and Raphael Hagemann as part of the WeDataNation core team actively take part in upcoming Ocean DAO events to support the community and establish more connections inside of this great project. Both are part of the ambassador program and do tasks of the activity farming. Our new team member Bhalisa Sodo is also a well known member of the community and social media manager for the Ocean Protocol Ambassador`s Twitter account.

Adding value to the overall community:

By establishing an easy way for private individuals to join a pool for selling their data the overall awareness of Ocean Protocol will rise. In addition the need for algorithmic programmers will rise, as this task becomes a significant factor to connect collected data to potential buyers via insights created from the data.

Core Team

Henry Griesbach

• Role: CEO
  • Relevant Credentials:
  • LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/henrygriesbach
  • Background/Experience:
  • Technical Trading Support at germans biggest retail equity market maker
  • Financial markets expert
  • External Advisor for the “financial Tinder” - Vickii

Raphael Hagemann

• Role: Business Operations
  • Relevant Credentials:
  • LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/raphael-hagemann-a03187152/
  • Background/Experience:
  • AI Student @ International University of Applied Sciences
  • Project & Systems Management and Regulatory Compliance at germans biggest retail equity market maker
  • Bachelor of Arts @ Banking & Finance

Martin Till

• Role: Go-To-Market & B2B Strategy
  • LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martin-till-1091091a8/
  • Background/Experience:
  • Sales Professional - Go-to-market Salesphere (mVISE AG)
  • Business Development Manager (ETL Group)
  • Account Manager (Sage Software Group)

Paul Durau

• Role: Social Media Growth Strategy
  • LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pauldurau/
  • Background/Experience:
  • Marketing Enthusiast
  • Instagram & YouTube Consultant
  • Content Manager & Creator
  • Growth Hacker

Bhalisa Sodo

Elias Mendel

Advisors

Robin Lehmann

• Role: Technical Advisor and early stage supporter
  • Relevant Credentials:
  • LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/robinlehmann/
  • Background/Experience:
  • CEO, CTO and Co-Founder of DataUnion Foundation
  • Ocean Protocol Ambassador

Louis Schulze

Nathan Vandy

Max Zheng

Funding Requested

Minimum Funding Requested

Wallet Address
0x22Fd7511362bD68976B6eD643C771dCDb7DFf501

Hi,

Thank you for submitting your proposal for R18!

I am a Project-Guiding Member and have assigned myself to help you.

I have reviewed your proposal and would like to thank you for your participation inside of the Ocean Ecosystem!

Your project looks promising and I believe it’s aligned with our evaluation criteria of generating positive value towards the Ocean Ecosystem and the W3SL.

The project criteria are:

1. Usage of Ocean — The project can help drive better data consume volume
  2. Viability — Your core team is experienced and have recruited established members of the Ocean community as advisors and collaborators.
  3. Community active-ness — Your team has been active in discord and twitter.
  4. Adding value to the community — The Ocean community needs more active tools for acquiring and brokering data.

Based on the reasons above, I am in support of your project and proposal. I look forward to continuing providing support and feedback to your project, and you can expect to receive a positive vote from me during the upcoming voting period.

I would also suggest adding more details about the components of the upload and import functionality so the community can better understand the deliverable.

All the best!

-Christian Casazza

Thank you for your support on this Christian!

first version of the upload & import mechanism for social media / e-commerce datasets of individuals

• Set up server and NoSQL-database
  • Import Script for .json & .html files containing all Facebook & Amazon data of an individual for internal use
  • Language of data: English

→ we are also planning to add Metadata to each uploaded file. We assume we will be able to implement this from the start on. But as we can’t guarantee it, this part of the mechanism is not intended as part of the grant and can be seen as a potential additional deliverable.

Hi,

You propose this deliverable for R18:

• Upload & Import function for social media / e-commerce data of individuals

However, from your R16 deliverables, you already suggest that this has been achieved:

• start building infrastructure

Achieved: Yes | Comment : Upload & import functions + database

Furthermore, your grant deliverables are almost identical for R16 and R17. Round 16:

• Grow community to develop traction for the next milestones to achieve
  • finalise pitchdeck, mockups and homepage for investor presentations
  • do our best to achieve funding
  • take part in activity farming of ocean ambassador
  • start building infrastructure

And Round 17:

• Grow community to develop traction for the next milestones to achieve
  • finalize pitch deck, mockups and homepage for investor presentations
  • do our best to achieve further funding on 10th May and become part of SupraOracles Accelerator
  • take part in activity farming of ocean ambassador
  • develop more infrastructure
  • start launching marketing campaign

For R18, you have pretty much just changed the wording of the same deliverables. The only additional deliverable I can see is translation of blogs.

Since the category for your project is build and integrate, would you be able provide some links to the infrastructure that has been developed over the past two rounds?

Hello Richard,

Thanks for asking detailed questions on our proposal - As a quite new Ocean community project, we are always grateful for advice from such an experienced project as Algovera, on how we can improve communication about our plans and progress.

The grant deliverables you mentioned for the category outreach are recurring in each round, as our team is constantly working on them and the monthly successes are therefore elementary to achieving our main goal of reaching a broad user group.

We pointed out the necessity to focus on outreach for the success of WDN‘s vision in R17

The result of our technology deliverables for the import mechanism are planned to be presented this month in the best possible way. As all parts are build within DataUnion‘s technology stack and therefore company secret they are not available via links or repositories. The deliverables were announced and delivered as they were in R16&17, because we need numerous interlocking systems to guarantee the security & anonymity of the aggregated data when stored and later analysed by compute-to-data in a purpose-built security zone,

These deliverables represent the original initiation of the WDN server and the subsequent specification of the backend as the necessary infrastructure, on which to build the first mechanisms for uploads to the databases. Since the development here was partly simultaneous or overlapping, we have decided to give a more detailed description of the finished product and to refer to the respective deliverables in a more general way.

Since this month, we have seen a development that can be more clearly assigned to individual building blocks, which means that the deliverables we announced can also be more specific.

We are in active exchange with numerous members of Ocean Dao, OPAP and other community projects via Discord. This is also the place for status reports with more detailed information, which does not fit the format of the ocean port forum. I would like to invite you to join us here for timely insights and to maybe also to identify possible synergies between our projects.

Best,
Henry

Discord: Nosedive2Moon

Hi Henry,

I don’t doubt that you are doing good work, but there’s very little transparency. You are now applying for your 4th grant (to bring you up to $53k worth of funding) without showing proof of any technical progress so far. Should OceanDAO award ~1/3 of total funds for this round to a proprietary software stack?

I should also note that I’m biased (given that you will likely achieve the highest number of votes).

Outside of that, I do hope we can meet again under nicer circumstances. For sure, there are synergies with what we’re both working on.

Richard

Hello Richard,

Even if this topic took a lot of time from my last day of holiday I am glad having the opportunity to improve our communication policy and get a feeling for what kind of questions come up within the community.

1.Considering your advice, which I respect and am grateful for and with a closer look to the overall available funding amount this round, we decided as a team to lower the amount requested to 12.500USD. This is the amount neccessary to finish the part of the system, which we are working towards through the last grants, as I have described in detail in the conversation with you and Christian here. So this part of the grant, with another deliverable we planned to continue developing is no longer contained :

At the time of applying for the full amount possible, consideration was only given to what the potential development costs on our side would be for these two components. The overall situation of the entire community and the condition of projects that could possibly be disadvantaged due to the currently low total funding amount, was definitely neglected. Since our planned „web3 scraping“ is planned as an additional feature for our user-app and is therefore not part of the core tech for the basic functionality, it is possible to develop this at a later stage, when the development has been further advanced and we have been able to showcase first parts of the basic app version.

First of all - thanks!
Our entire team works with conviction on WeDataNations vision, which would not be possible without the ocean protocol and therefore sees itself as true ocean ambassadors not only in regards to the OPAP-NFT :raised_hands:

2.) We had a closer look into Algovera’s proposal for this round to get more insights on the style deliverables are presented in a transparent way and will apply accordingly for future grants to enable the community to gain more details (without having to ask first in comments) and therefore solve the problem of a lack in transparency.

Best
Henry

Project submitted deliverables:

1.Deliverable : With this grant we will cover the final costs for the development of the first version of the upload & import mechanism for social media / e-commerce datasets of individuals.

-> A video where our technology partner DataUnion shows the new existing backend + upload & import mechanism can be viewed here :WeDataNation backend delivery - YouTube

2.Deliverable :Additionally the development of the first data-analytics mechanism will begin.

Processed data on the right side filtered with a view function

Admin:

Hi, Thank you for submitting an update for your previous proposal! Your Grant Deliverables have been reviewed and look to be in good condition. We have also looked at your Project Standing, it looks to be in good condition and ready to apply for another grant. We would like to thank you for your positive contributions to the Ocean Ecosystem and I look forward to reviewing future proposals from your project. Thx & All the best! Your OceanDAO Team