The Phoenix Guild

Proposal in one sentence:

Increasing Diversity in Ocean Ecosystem

Description of the project and what problem is it solving:

The project aims at increasing women developer participation in the Ocean Ecosystem. This is needed to improve the data insights and also to build a more inclusive product. We intend to do so by onboarding more women developers to web3

Grant Deliverables:

• As part of the 1st grant (3k USD), we will onboard 100 women to web3 by conducting sessions on blockchain basics, introduction to Ocean Protocol and basic tooling setup (integration with wallet, hardhat , NFT Marketplace etc) for tech and non tech women.
  • 4 live sessions will be conducted on zoom on 15, 22, 29 Jan, 5th Feb 2022.
  • A video recorded from each session will be published on youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb8mVKa0vINjZYzUFvhUTLw
  • 2 medium blog posts on Ocean Protocol will be published by Feb 15.

Which category best describes your project?

• Outreach / community / spread awareness (grants don’t need to be technical in nature)

What is the final product?

By 5th Feb, 100 women would have been onboarded to web3 and Ocean Protocol by conducting zoom sessions on blockchain basics, introduction to Ocean Protocol and basic tooling setup (integration with wallet, hardhat , NFT Marketplace etc).

Which one or more of the criteria will your project focus on?

Community active-ness

Why do you believe your team will do well on those criteria?

We are a group of 4 women, determined to work on the diversity and inclusion space in web3. Together, we have over 40 years of experience working in technology, community, marketing and blockchain architecture.

We have demonstrated experience in building software for blockchain, full stack and marketing. We have already spread awareness in the Indian ecosystem and helped onboard several developers to web3. Hence we believe we will do well.

Funding Requested:

Proposal Wallet Address: (has 500 OCEAN).

0x44AC194359fA44eCe6Cb2E53E8c90547BCCb95a0

Have you previously received an OceanDAO Grant? If yes, please specify what round(s) and how much was granted each round.

N

Team Website (if applicable):

NA

Twitter Handle (if applicable):

@kratijain

Discord Handle (if applicable):

@greenBee9327

Project lead email:

kratijain88@gmail.com

Country of Residence:

India

Part 2 - Team

2.1 Core Team

Krati Jain

Gnana Lakshmi

Nivedita Vivek

Sri Lakshmi

2.2 Advisors

Alexandra McCarroll

Part 3 - Proposal Details (*Recommended)

3.1 Details

The Phoenix Guild is a group of 4 women, determined to work on the diversity and inclusion space in web3. Together, we have over 40 years of experience working in technology, community, marketing and blockchain architecture.

In the month of January 2022, we will conduct 4 sessions, one per week to get women into the web3 space. We will do a small quiz after every session to reinforce the learning objectives. Each session will be recorded and uploaded to youtube, for further consumption. We will also write 2 medium blog posts to educate the community on Ocean Protocol.

As part of the 1st grant (3k USD), we will onboard 100 women to web3 by conducting sessions on blockchain basics, introduction to Ocean Protocol and basic tooling setup (integration with wallet, hardhat , NFT Marketplace etc) for tech and non tech women.

As part of subsequent grants (Feb 2022 onwards), we repeat and improvise the above steps, so that at least 5% applicants would be fully capable to attempt bounties at OceanDAO.

3.2 If in Category “Build / improve applications or integration to Ocean”:

NA

3.3 If in Category “Outreach / community”:

4 live sessions will be conducted on zoom or hangouts.A video recorded from each session will be published on youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb8mVKa0vINjZYzUFvhUTLw

2 medium blog posts on Ocean Protocol will be published by Feb 15.

3.4 If in Category “Unleash data”:

NA

3.5 If in Category “Build / improve Ocean core software”:

NA

3.6 If in Category “Improvements to OceanDAO”:

NA

3.7 If the project includes software:

NA

3.8 If the project includes community engagement:

4 live sessions will be conducted on zoom on 15, 22, 29 Jan, 5th Feb 2022.

A video recorded from each session will be published on youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb8mVKa0vINjZYzUFvhUTLw

2 medium blog posts on Ocean Protocol will be published by Feb 15.

3.9 Project Deliverables - Roadmap

Any prior work completed thus far? Details?

None

What is the project roadmap?

What is the team’s future plans and intentions? Is there maintenance? Possible extensions to the work?

If you like the way we work, here is what we will do in future with subsequent grants (50 - 100 K USD):

• 10% of the grants will be distributed as part of Incentives for Session Completion. Every lady who attends the session, completes the program and succeeds in the exam gets incentivised monetarily
  • 25% of the grants will be used as Operational Costs (Physical MeetUps). We will organize in person training sessions in Denver, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai
  • 30% of the grants will be used as Content Creation & Office Hours Expenses. We will create videos covering blockchain basics, ocean protocol basics, full stack dApp development, tokenomics case studies.
  • 30% of the grants will be used for Marketing Campaigns. In order to attract women developers we will organize parties, hackathons
  • 5% for Team Expenses / Logistics

3.10 Additional Information

None

2 Likes

Hi @kratijain,

Thank you for applying for R-13!

I’m just confirming with the team that your proposal has been registered in the system (as there is a bit of a delay in processing, you can keep an eye on it here https://www.notion.so/Round-13-Votes-88b39ab47cee4643b900fb70f3d4bc54) I will also keep you updated.

In the meantime, here is some information which may help…

We have attempted to make your first grant easy to earn (you would be registered in the New Entrant Earmark) I would also recommend one (or all) of the following to increase support:

1. Saying hi to the community in #ocean-dao and sharing your proposal.
  2. Saying hi to members of the #project-guiding WG and sharing your proposal.
  3. Meet with the Evaluators assigned to you by the #project-guiding WG.
  4. Attend a Town Hall or Project-Guiding WG meeting to talk about your project and proposal.

All the best!

Scott
(Evaluator)

The system has now updated and your proposal is registered successfully.

I love the name of the project and strongly support the cause that you are working for. In my opinion it is very important to focus on opening up the Ocean community and making sure it is welcoming for everyone.

You have my support!

2 Likes

Hello @kratijain,

Please notice that we are updating the funding process for R13 and there are important things for you to know. We will be deploying an update to the Ocean Website, where you will be able to claim your grant on your own time.
Funding the smart contract may take ~2 days after Voting Ends. There will still be a funding deadline of 2 weeks to claim your grant.
You will need a web3 wallet + Airtable to complete the process. Grant requests via request.finance will be deprecated.

You can find all instructions here: https://github.com/oceanprotocol/oceandao/wiki/Request-Grant-Guidelines
You will have until January 10th to update your proposal with all required fields.

Please let us know if you experience any issues or bugs. You can also submit tickets to Github and ping us inside of ocean-dao-engineering for any help. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for your support Robin ! Means a lot to us :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestions @Scotty, we are on it.

Hi @kratijain, thank you for writing your proposal.

[Intro]
As a core OPF member, “OceanDAO Lead”, Web3 contributor, PGWG Evaluator, etc, I really want to welcome The Phoenix Guild and all of its contributors to OceanDAO.

As a participnts of other DAOs such as the TEC, I believe that increasing diversity and inclusivity is a common goal that we all have, and a key pillar of Web3 as many of us choose to stay anon, or pseudoanon. I’m very proud and honored that OceanDAO supports a broad range of projects around the world, and I want to support The Phoenix Guild as a leading project/fund that helps onboard women into Web3.

[Evaluator Feedback]
I have registered myself as an PGWG Evaluator (a.k.a. “Guide”) and I look forward to continue supporting both initiatives from The Phoenix Guild, in addition to others who are spearheading diversity and inclusivity in web3, especially in OceanDAO.

I believe this proposal adds value to the Ocean Ecosystem by:

Usage of Ocean — Sessions will onboard women on Ocean Protocol, understanding basic tooling, and getting them to know more about OP and it’s utility in a Web3, Self-Sovereign Individual future.
Viability — This proposal was assembled by an already established group of female leaders in the Web2 and Web3 world. I’m confident on their ability to execute on this vision and believe this is a very viable initiative.
Community active-ness — This team has attended the Parameters-Roadmap WG, has been active with some community members, and I look forward to their increased activeness in the OceanDAO/Ecosystem.
Adding value to the community — I believe this initial engagement is a really great bang/buck initiative to raise awareness, outreach, and community engagement with OceanDAO+Ecosystem. They have kicked off the conversation of diversity and inclusivity, and I believe are already adding a lot of value due to these initiatives.

You can expect to receive support from me, in addition to a positive vote during the R13 period.

[Proposal & Outcome Considerations]
Beyond the current proposal for The Phoenix Guild, I thought I would outline ways to steward initiatives to increase community, diversity, inclusivity, equality and place myself somewhere I can help facilitate this.

Based on my role in the DAO community and this proposal I would recommend that you consider:

1. Onboarding women participants onto Ocean Academy and helping them complete the basic introduction course (and earning an inititial NFT on Rinkeyby).
  2. Provide these participants with the roadmap to further onboard onto OceanDAO.
    A) By completing Ocean Academy and joining the Ocean Ambassadors program.
    B) Having them join the Project-Guiding WG or other Working Groups.

[Final Words]
We have been working closely with other DAOs such as the TEC where we Angela + Livia have achieved incredible outcomes. We really want to increase integration with other participants that are leading mission-critical outcomes (the TEC has incredible reward systems & have done amazing organizational development to support inclusivity, diversity, and safety).

I believe we should be working towards a Diversity & Inclusivity WG that promotes these values, in addition to making sure there are no conflicts as a result of differences. Again, I’d like to point towards the TEC for their core values and their WGs: Omega, Gravity & Communitas
https://tecommons.org/workgroups.

As far as I see it, there are two improvements to diversity and inclusivity that I have identified.

1. Diversity and inclusivity Funds
  2. Diversity and Inclusivity in OceanDAO WGs.

Thank you for tackling #1.

I look forward to The Phoenix Guild and others, to continue shepparding participation, attendance, and membership in our existing WGs or perhaps future WGs (#2)

Thank you for your proposal, and all the best in R13!

2 Likes

I just wanted to congratulate The Phoenix Guild on winning a grant in R13!

Really looking forward to the contributions you make in OceanDAO, web3, and the tech industry towards improving diversity and equality.

All the best,
-Roberto

1 Like

Thank you for the wishes @idiom-bytes , we are on it :+1:

2 Likes

Hello @kratijain,

As part of the Project Guiding - Working Group [PG-WG], We would like to congratulate on your sustained interest in the OceanDAO and for winning the R13 grant.

We also encourage you and team members to be part of our PG-WG Guiding group as an Attendee as well as being part of guiding the newcomers of PG-WG and OceanDAO. Say hello to us at https://discord.gg/kujC2QK9 #Project-Guiding and refer to the pinned messages to find more information regarding the WG.

You could also be part of async discussions by interacting on the Project-Guiding Discord channel

Regards,

Prakash

1 Like

Project submitted deliverables:

Here are our Deliverables in Bold for Round 13, attaching links to share progress.

2 medium blog posts on Ocean Protocol will be published by Feb 15 - https://twitter.com/spoorthy_akella/status/1488181166197055488?t=9aQ5x7lzyDXYouA4mJKJKw&s=19

https://twitter.com/spoorthy_akella/status/1488180883622273025?t=BBOkNmm3JcTAEoBIKqKBuQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/spoorthy_akella/status/1488180667892776964?t=TcpLcsRXvgyPTZ3iaRPAQw&s=19

https://twitter.com/AankurNamya/status/1484557864081698822?t=ShAdseDzVduwE2z8zU4oYg&s=19

https://twitter.com/mgeetanjali25/status/1487069269896544256?t=ExjupVLrhjVh7Rpl4kF11g&s=19

Admin: I’ve checked and all deliverables are met. Congratulations. You can submit your next proposal now!

1 Like