[Round 10 Proposal] Governauts Rewards Systems Research Initiative
Category: Improvements to OceanDAO
Funding requested: $20K
ROI Metric: Grant efficiency
Our Proposal in a Sentence
We develop and verify DAO improvements for Ocean DAO, as part of a community research initiative led by Token Engineering Academy.
The Problem We Solve
Rewards Systems are a key element for DAOs to grow the ecosystem value, reward contributors and grant decision making power (governance tokens) to those who provide value to a DAO.
OceanDAO recently published an ambitious OceanDAO roadmap 2021/2022 that includes several updates on reward systems.
We’d like to invite OceanDAO to be a case partner:
- we’ll analyse your data
- we’ll explore the expectations of your stakeholders
- we’ll come up with metrics to measure your reward system healthiness
Additionally, the research group will contribute to your ecosystem
- grow confidence in your reward system
- provide insights on sensitivities, benefits and value flow
- make recommendations on how to improve your reward system
- you support crypto public goods, gain reputation and get access to token engineering teams
This is a Community Research Initiative
- a core token engineering research team will work on the pre-defined research question
- additionally, TE Academy will facilitate a community research program to onboard co-researchers to learn Token Engineering methods and apply it to a self-defined research goal in the scope of the Rewards System Research Group
- this contributes to our long-term objective to establish a new branch of Token Engineers focusing on governance and decentralization called the Governauts
- Gitcoin Grants Quadratic Funding
- Balancer Simulations
- HydraDX (here, here and here)
- and watch a talk at EthCC 4 about TE Academy Research Groups
About the Governauts
Incubating Governauts is an initiative to establish a dedicated branch in Token Engineering focused on decentralization and governance.
We organize workshops and discussions, provide a platform for collaboration and bring research programs to life with TE Academy.
Meet the Governauts at Twitter, Telegram and at our events!
Note: Our total funds required are $60K. We’ll acquire $40K from additional partners to run this research program.
Generally, a great reward system is optimizing for sustainability. In order to attract successful proposals, it must be
- motivating = motivates contributors to continue to build, and make follow-up proposals (they come back)
- sufficient = helps contributors to have sufficient funds to focus on their proposal, push to deliver and make proposals round by round (they come back round after round, don’t loose momentum)
- clear = provides clear requirements and makes the reward process easy (rewards system itself not a blocker)
For our ROI, we measure Grant efficiency in
% of proposals who are successful at least 2 times across 3 rounds.
Grant efficiency OceanDAO (round 7): 51.04%
This results in $108,350.00 that are potentially lost in a single round.
There won’t be any reward system with 100% efficiency, However, we expect that based on our proposal outcome, OceanDAO will increase Grant efficiency by 10% and as a result can save $22,132 that would be otherwise potentially lost.
Bang = $221,132 (across 1 year)
Buck: $20K (our proposal ask)
Likeliness of success: 90%
ROI = (bang/buck)*likeliness of success = 11.95128
Disclaimer: for our calculation we had access to data from Round 7-9
Category: Improvements to OceanDAO
The educational program and research results will be publicly available. Work is close collaboration with OceanDAO core team and OceanPearl.io
Milestone 1 / End of October 2021
Core research team confirmed
Milestone 2 / End of October 2021
1-3 co-funding partners confirmed
Milestone 3 / End of November 2021
min. 20 TE Community Researchers onboarded
Milestone 4 / End of December 2021
Educational program delivered, mind. 8 public lectures provided on topics like computer-aided governance, game design, behavioral economics, currency design, monetary theory, and token engineering
Milestone 5 / Mid January 2022
Check-in with TE Community Researchers, review research plans (OceanDAO/OceanPearl.io and research group)
Milestone 6 / End of February 2022
Presentation of research results
Milestone 7 / Mid March 2022
Workshop with Ocean DAO team/OceanPearl for follow-up proposals, implementation etc.
Update: Preparing the program
Before we kick-off the program in Mid November, we
- design the educational lectures
- confirm mentors for the program
- scout for and select the community researchers (in total 20, best fit to cases!), and make sure they are available and committed
- confirm facilitators (we’ll need to cover 3 months in total, with 1-2 sessions per week!)
- further specify the scope with Ocean DAO/OceanPearl.io
Along with our core team, we’ll have mentors and governance researchers on board from DAOs like Gitcoin, CommonsStack,
BlockScience, TE Commons, and more.
Role: Host, organizer
Discord: akrtws (TE Academy) #4246
Angela has worked in early stage startups since 2008. Between 2016 and 2018 she established venture development at innogy Innovation Hub Berlin, and in 2018 she co-founded the Token Engineering Community, which has quickly grown into a global network (https://twitter.com/tokengineering). The aim of the Token Engineering Community is to establish a new engineering discipline for successful and sustainable cryptoeconomic systems. In 2020 she founded TE Academy, the first educational institution for token engineering. Since its inception, more than 700 students across 21 time zones have participated in TE Academy courses. TE Academy is part of the TE Commons ecosystem (https://tecommons.org/) to fund and grow Token Engineering public goods.
Role: Research Lead
Discord: liviade #1387
- member of the Commons Stack team
- leading the Cultural Build of the Token Engineering Commons where
she stewards the Soft Governance and Culture working group
- guided by the concept of self sovereignty to nurture environments that
can promote individual agency in collaborative settings.
- having a theater and performance background, Livia believes in the
development of everyone’s subjective expression and embodiment of intrinsic motivations as a key element for participatory decision making
- founder of Longtail Financial
- steward of the labs at the Token Engineering Commons, and teaching
assistant at the Token Engineering Academy,
- passionate crypto-economic entrepreneur that is applying rigorous
data science techniques to token engineering and actively participating in the scaling of decentralized institutions for incentive alignment around sum positive economies
Role: Educational Programming, Facilitation
Discord: heater #9765
- Bachelor degree in Economics and Mathematics
- four years in eCommerce data analytics and
- active TE community member (TEC, cadCAD,
BlockScience, Commons Stack)
Role: Educational Programming, Lectures
Discord: JessicaZartler #2263
- Governance Researcher (BlockScience, CommonsStack, TE Commons)
- Governauts Ground Control team member