Wisdom of the Web
Visit openkoi.com to learn about how we’re mapping the web, increasing accountability, and helping you get paid!
Key Project Data
Please submit ERC20 or compatible to 0xF40b005FFE2Db0197b8c301e1C966C2cb3B59A08
- Koi- a community; collectively creating common consensus; confirmed, and coincidentally collateralized by contributor cryptocurrency.
- ^ TLDR, we scrape the web together, and we want to sell all of the data from the public web2 through ocean, in a standardised and compressed format.
- Which category best describes your project? Pick one or more.
- [x] Build / improve applications or integrations to Ocean
- [ ] Outreach / community (grants don’t need to be technical in nature)
- [ ] Unleash data
- [ ] Build / improve core Ocean software
Description of the project:
We are building a network of non-consensus nodes that simply gather data for other networks to interpret. The goal is to make it trivially easy and highly cost efficient to access a structured data representation of any webpage, and eventually, to verify the authenticity or validity of the contents therein.
Our goal is to build a DAO that provides reliable information and collects it onto data marketplaces in aggregate. Currently we have been applying this to e-commerce and real estate, but there’s a lot of the internet left that we haven’t even thought of yet.
What problem is your project solving?
Koi is a reliable oracle for any website you want to access. Pay a bounty to add a URL to the queue, and our swarm of goldfish will check the page and verify the contents, then compete to clean up the information and post the result.
Don’t need fresh data? Just use our archive.
What is the final product (e.g. App, URL, Medium, etc)?
We’re in this for a long term dApp potential. We have an MVP live on our website, and are working on a desktop app which will be starting beta in early January. Visit our website to RSVP!
How does this project drive value to the Ocean ecosystem?
The Koi network is designed to provide basic substrate data, representing any public URL on the web, but structured and abstracted to ensure homogeneity for comparisons.
Our plan is to pay people with our KOI token to help us build an enormous database of web2 content and sell it on ocean.
Project Deliverable - Build / Integrate
IF: Build and launch our desktop application, allowing users to pre-mine KOI tokens for extracting structured data from websites and adding it to ocean, then:
- App will be live on our website (above) (and available for download for Mac, PC, and Ubuntu)
- Software will be open-source with a permissive license on our github: atlastechnologies-xyz/koi-desktop (currently private during development- dm Alex at @al_morris__ on Twitter to inspect the current codebase and he can add you to the repo!)
Project Deliverables - Roadmap
Lots of information about the current state of the Koi project is available on our blog at openkoi.com, as well as a demo of our parsing tool. The desktop and android apps are in development now, and we’re expecting desktop to be ready for beta testing around Dec 18, and the Android App in early January.
If we are to receive this grant, we’ll pipe all the data from the initial beta round into Ocean from day one. This would be a big deal, since that will likely mean our entire project will run off of Ocean for the long term.
Our technology stack is heavily node.js and react, with react-native and electron for the apps. We have been working on building an ERC20 token to act as the incentive mechanism, but that’s not expected to launch for another 6 months or so.
The purpose of the KOI network is to simultaneously capture the history of the internet, and render it as accessible and standardised as possible to ensure ease of consumption. Our species survives by making more good decisions than bad ones- we’re in this to make it possible for everyone to have access to the best information possible for each decision that they make.
The Koi system lets any internet-connected device gather information from the public web, standardize it, and then sell it, all automatically. We need Ocean’s help on that last part
- GitHub /alexander-morris/
- LinkedIn /in/alexanderdmorris/
- Co-founder at WeTeachBlockchain
- Founder of XYZ Technologies
- Creator of SharDb (npm i shardb)
- Author of 6 blockchain courses and technical faculty chair of AltHash Blockchain Education Co-Operative
- Founding Contributor, Lead Engineer
- GitHub /inovatedTeam/
- Founder of Blue Dream Studio
- Founding Contributor, Node Design & Algorithm Development
- GitHub /salman-arshad/
- LinkedIn /in/salmanarshadcs/
- Server Development at XYZ Technologies
Syed Ghazanfer Anwar
- Founding Contributor, Web Scraping Optimization
- GitHub /syedghazanferanwar
- LinkedIn /in/ghazanferanwar/
- Scraper Development at XYZ Technologies
Note: Intentionally omitting non-technical team members and those who wouldn’t be directly involved with this part of the project.
If we get this grant, the Ocean tokens will be part of our reserve pool, and we will only ever sell them as a last resort.