[Proposal] Wisdom of the Web - Fill your Ocean with GoldFish, thanks to Koi

Wisdom of the Web

Visit openkoi.com to learn about how we’re mapping the web, increasing accountability, and helping you get paid!

Key Project Data

Please submit ERC20 or compatible to 0xF40b005FFE2Db0197b8c301e1C966C2cb3B59A08

• Koi- a community; collectively creating common consensus; confirmed, and coincidentally collateralized by contributor cryptocurrency.
  • ^ TLDR, we scrape the web together, and we want to sell all of the data from the public web2 through ocean, in a standardised and compressed format.
  • Which category best describes your project? Pick one or more.
    • [x] Build / improve applications or integrations to Ocean
    • [ ] Outreach / community (grants don’t need to be technical in nature)
    • [ ] Unleash data
    • [ ] Build / improve core Ocean software

Project Overview

• Description of the project:

We are building a network of non-consensus nodes that simply gather data for other networks to interpret. The goal is to make it trivially easy and highly cost efficient to access a structured data representation of any webpage, and eventually, to verify the authenticity or validity of the contents therein.

Our goal is to build a DAO that provides reliable information and collects it onto data marketplaces in aggregate. Currently we have been applying this to e-commerce and real estate, but there’s a lot of the internet left that we haven’t even thought of yet.

• What problem is your project solving?

Koi is a reliable oracle for any website you want to access. Pay a bounty to add a URL to the queue, and our swarm of goldfish will check the page and verify the contents, then compete to clean up the information and post the result.

Don’t need fresh data? Just use our archive.

• What is the final product (e.g. App, URL, Medium, etc)?

We’re in this for a long term dApp potential. We have an MVP live on our website, and are working on a desktop app which will be starting beta in early January. Visit our website to RSVP!

• How does this project drive value to the Ocean ecosystem?

The Koi network is designed to provide basic substrate data, representing any public URL on the web, but structured and abstracted to ensure homogeneity for comparisons.

Our plan is to pay people with our KOI token to help us build an enormous database of web2 content and sell it on ocean.

Project Deliverable - Build / Integrate

IF: Build and launch our desktop application, allowing users to pre-mine KOI tokens for extracting structured data from websites and adding it to ocean, then:

• App will be live on our website (above) (and available for download for Mac, PC, and Ubuntu)
  • Software will be open-source with a permissive license on our github: atlastechnologies-xyz/koi-desktop (currently private during development- dm Alex at @al_morris__ on Twitter to inspect the current codebase and he can add you to the repo!)

Project Deliverables - Roadmap

Lots of information about the current state of the Koi project is available on our blog at openkoi.com, as well as a demo of our parsing tool. The desktop and android apps are in development now, and we’re expecting desktop to be ready for beta testing around Dec 18, and the Android App in early January.

If we are to receive this grant, we’ll pipe all the data from the initial beta round into Ocean from day one. This would be a big deal, since that will likely mean our entire project will run off of Ocean for the long term.

Project Details

Our technology stack is heavily node.js and react, with react-native and electron for the apps. We have been working on building an ERC20 token to act as the incentive mechanism, but that’s not expected to launch for another 6 months or so.

The purpose of the KOI network is to simultaneously capture the history of the internet, and render it as accessible and standardised as possible to ensure ease of consumption. Our species survives by making more good decisions than bad ones- we’re in this to make it possible for everyone to have access to the best information possible for each decision that they make.

The Koi system lets any internet-connected device gather information from the public web, standardize it, and then sell it, all automatically. We need Ocean’s help on that last part :slight_smile:

Team members

Alexander Morris

• Founder
  • Links
    • GitHub /alexander-morris/
    • LinkedIn /in/alexanderdmorris/
  • Background/Experience:
    • Co-founder at WeTeachBlockchain
    • Founder of XYZ Technologies
    • Creator of SharDb (npm i shardb)
    • Author of 6 blockchain courses and technical faculty chair of AltHash Blockchain Education Co-Operative

Dong Jin

• Founding Contributor, Lead Engineer
  • Links
    • GitHub /inovatedTeam/
  • Background/Experience:
    • Founder of Blue Dream Studio

Salman Arshad

• Founding Contributor, Node Design & Algorithm Development
  • Links
    • GitHub /salman-arshad/
    • LinkedIn /in/salmanarshadcs/
  • Background/Experience:
    • Server Development at XYZ Technologies

Syed Ghazanfer Anwar

• Founding Contributor, Web Scraping Optimization
  • Links
    • GitHub /syedghazanferanwar
    • LinkedIn /in/ghazanferanwar/
  • Background/Experience:
    • Scraper Development at XYZ Technologies

Note: Intentionally omitting non-technical team members and those who wouldn’t be directly involved with this part of the project.

Additional Information

If we get this grant, the Ocean tokens will be part of our reserve pool, and we will only ever sell them as a last resort.

5 Likes

Hey Alexander,

Awesome project, great usecase.
We are building https://dataunion.app at the moment. Looking for a load of images to add and annotate. We should talk about a collaboration :slight_smile:

I was wondering why you guys don’t choose to use a datatoken as the incentive mechanism? You could launch your dataset on the marketplace and then directly have an ERC20 token that you can use. I launched my project this way and am going to use the datatoken to reward contributors.
As the creator of the datatoken you are in full control to mint new tokens so you can adapt the supply to your needs - just be careful to not upset the liquidity providers.

Best,
Robin

3 Likes

Hi Alexander, I would agree. You could just generate a Token from the OCEAN pools and have your ERC20 token ready in minutes.

However, I think it will be a challenge to secure enough tokens in the first minutes after pool launch if everybody pushes liquidity in your pool and the price will rise dramatically. This can be circumvented by minting at a later point, but clear guidelines in the pool description would be needed to not upset the community as Robin already stated.

Best
Kai

1 Like

Sounds really interesting! Definitely interested in collaborations of every kind. Our incentive token is how we receive payment for other services within our network (proxy, and less formal data mining) so we need our own unit of account for that I believe. We do plan to mind Ocean-derived tokens as a part of this grant proposal, and that will be a major part of the liquidity model.

1 Like

Might be an option as well. Right now we’re pretty focused on the natural language processing / data extraction side of things, but definitely eager to get the tokenomics under way.

We index about 1k sites every day right now, so not a huge amount of volume to disrupt the liquidity in the short term. You can become a node operator if you’d like, though!

1 Like

There can be a swap pair on Uniswap - that is no problem. And these swaps can also be automated.

I am also paying contributors in my project with my datatokens for adding data, annotating it and verifying it. For these actions I don’t need any more functionalities so I can skip minting another token.
Of course having another token also offers the ability to do a funding round and give a bonus to the team members.

2 Likes

We’ll look forward how we can integrate this to our OceanDAO application that we are launching soon. Please have a look once it’s published and let’s brainstorm some ideas on how we involve the community further.

1 Like

After the last Town Hall @alexander-morris and I had a call regarding future collaboration between Koi and DataUnion.app - it looks like DataUnion.app will be able to profit from the scraping work done at Koi. So we are looking forward to collaborate and as a first step to show the trust between our projects DataUnion.app is going to provide a wallet with 5000 $OCEAN for this grant proposal.
You can see the transaction to the new wallet from the DataUnion.app wallet here:
https://etherscan.io/tx/0x039c63292599b1698798a1432d7f7a4f6f8775db4653f897d3f96bb6aa4be252

@alexander-morris please adjust the grant wallet to this one:
0xF40b005FFE2Db0197b8c301e1C966C2cb3B59A08

If the grant proposal is successfulI I will transfer the 10.000 $OCEAN to the team’s wallet. All Gas fees are sponsoring :slight_smile:

Collaboration over competition!

3 Likes

Thank you Robin! We couldn’t be more excited to be part of the Ocean community. We will HODL more ocean soon.

1 Like