Part 1 - Proposal Submission
Name of Project:
Ocean South Africa
Proposal in one sentence:
Community of Data Scientists, Software Engineers, and Enthusiasts with a shared mission to raise awareness, and build on top of Ocean Protocol to scale the Web3 Data-Economy to South Africa.
Description of the project and what problem is it solving:
Because of our unique history, South Africa has the highest income inequality in the world. Simply, the rich are too rich, and the poor are too poor. We have an unemployment rate of more than 30%, and an even worse youth unemployment rate of more than 50%. By contributing and building on top of Ocean Protocol, we believe young talent, startups, and SME’s can discover new income and revenue streams to chart a new path for themselves.
Objective 1: Community on-boarding
- Run a social media campaign to attract developers and other talent to join and contribute to Ocean Protocol. The goal is to make as much active Ocean Ambassadors out of community members as possible.
- Run a concurrent campaign to attract startups and SMEs who are willing to explore various opportunities presented by Ocean Protocol.
- On-board members onto the Ocean Academy.
Objective 2: Community Education
- Host weekly calls to educate the community in addition to Ocean Academy resources.
- Build an information repository of all important educational material, media and documentation for on-going reference.
- Fork GitHub repository with all necessary (ocean.py, ocean.js, etc.) development tools to support exploration and buidl.
- Host at least 3 Sprints (within 2 months) to facilitate Ideation.
Objective 3: Awareness
*- Continue utilising our Medium, Twitter, and Facebook channels to raise awareness.
*- Three articles have already been published (https://oceanprotocolza.medium.com)
*- South Africa has 11 official languages. Translating in all of them would be a nightmare. We will use Afrikaans to translate at least 2 critical informative OP articles.
*- Blockchain-related meetups have already commenced, so we will be utilising these to our advantage.
Which category best describes your project?
- [X] Outreach / community / spread awareness
What is the final product?
1.) For the initial round, the final product is an active community of developers and enthusiasts, that continues to educate and raise awareness, through hosting meetups, community calls and social media campaigns.
2.) The ultimate goal is to have a community that is technically oriented enough to start building our own solutions that have product-market fit on top of Ocean Protocol.
**Which one or more of the criteria will your project focus on? Why do you believe your team will do well on those criteria? **
1. Usage of Ocean:
After this phase has concluded, we would have added new members, and active Ocean Ambassadors who are ecosystem participants. This can subsequently lead to an increase in # of Active Users.
We are poised to achieve this because of our advantage of operating in arguably Africa’s most innovative region - Cape Town (dubbed Silicon Cape). And crypto adoption and development is relatively higher.
2. Community Active-ness:
Since we are a community comprised mostly of technical people, we are actively using Ocean SDK’s and gaining experience and orientation. This can ultimately lead to new projects and contributions to initiatives like Ocean Missions.
3.Adding value to the overall community:
As we continue driving our message and mission; more talent, and enthusiasts will notice. This will be a self-fulfilling prophecy as it would keep feeding into the chances of success of the first criterion, which is Usage of Ocean. When we do our job right, the loop restarts.
Proposal Wallet Address:
Have you previously received an OceanDAO Grant? N
Project Lead email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Country of Residence: Republic of South Africa
Part 2 - Team
2.1 Core Team
- Role: Project Lead
- Relevant Credentials:
- Business Development Manager at SpliceWorks, Startup Accelerator
- Data Science Intern at BCX
- Ocean Ambassador
- Relevant Credentials:
- Co-founder and CEO at DataUnion
- Ocean Protocol Ambassador program manager
** Dr. Prakash Kamaraj**
- Relevant Credentials:
- Co-founding member of Deep Medicine Labs, a HealthTech solutions in the AI space
- Led a project submission at Solana India hackathon
- Ocean Ambassador community; outreach ship
- Project Lead at Ocean Protocol India
Part 3 - Proposal Details
South Africa as an innovation hub has tremendous potential to see our mission though because of our ever-growing innovation ecosystems in Western Cape and Gauteng. We are home to a one of its kind Data Science institutions, Explore Data Science Academy, which produces world-class Data Scientists annually. We intend on the optimal utilisation of these unique networks and ecosystems to further the project’s mandate - which is to incentivise especially young talent to participate in the OP ecosystem.
3.2 “Outreach / community”:
At least 4 blog posts will be published on our Medium
2 community calls will be recorded & published on our YouTube channel
3.3 Community engagement:
The rubber has already touched the concrete through our 2 main engagement outlets; Twitter and Medium. The grant will helps grow our followers and our reach consequentially.
What is the team’s future plans and intentions?
Our ultimate future plan is to build and ship products and services on top of Ocean Protocol. This entails a concerted research and technical effort. When we fulfill the above-mentioned deliverables - the next steps will be communicated with the OceanDAO ecosystem.