Ocean Protocol on NEAR | Round 15

Project Name

Ocean is NEAR

Project Description

There is demand to deploy a robust infrastructure for data marketplaces on NEAR. NEAR Protocol is designed for usability and bridging the onboarding gap between web2 and web3. NEAR has numerous strengths in it’s technical foundation including fast transaction settlements, low cost and sharding on mainnet in 2021. The long term goals of this project are currently identified as:

1. Deploy a fork of Ocean Market on the NEAR Aurora EVM
  2. Deploy Ocean smart contracts on the NEAR Aurora EVM
  3. Get $OCEAN listed on the Trisolaris DEX and Aurora website

Grant Deliverables: (Target deliverables for the funding provided.)

• Write a report on the feasibility and timeline for deploying Ocean Protocol on Near
  • Engage users on social media (likes, comments, follows, shares) through a series of educational & promotional posts about Ocean Protocol and how we plan to implement it (including retweeting posts made by @OceanProtocol and @OceanDAO_). Our current social media following is approximately 500 accounts.

Usage of Ocean: We have an existing community of cannabis cultivators that we work with at Cannabis Genome DAO who want a way to publish their data without compromising self-sovereignty.

Community active-ness: We intend to integrate with and/or follow in the footsteps of other OceanDAO funded projects such as Algovera, Alga Wallet and DataUnion to improve user experience and onboarding. Elijah (flowscience) has been attending OceanDAO Town Halls regularly for approximately three months and has attended a few CTWG and PGWG meetings while preparing this application and promoting Ocean throughout the DAO ecosystem in general.

Adding value to the overall community: We will be expanding cross-chain support for Ocean Market to a vibrant new layer 1 ecosystem full of DAOs and communities that would be able to integrate Ocean based on the groundwork we lay.

Final Product

A DAO governed data marketplace with full integration of Ocean and NEAR.

Core Team

Elijah Spina, PhD

As a core contributor to Cannabis Genome DAO my goal is to incentivize participation in open-source cannabis research. Our first product will be CannaData.Market - a DAO governed fork of Ocean Market running on the NEAR Aurora EVM. CGD is recruiting members in various regions of the world to collect samples of wild cannabis for testing through our partner laboratory, Delta Leaf, and subsequent publication to CannaData.Market. We are working to establish ambassadors interfacing with indigenous groups to assist them in joining the global data market their physical work already circulates in through the same testing and publication process. Two of my cofounders at Delta Leaf are assisting with community building and DAO operations.

CGD acquired grant funding from Near Foundation in November 2021 to finish writing our whitepaper, develop a DAO on Astro, and deploy native token smart contracts for CGD on NEAR protocol. After spending months building our community, finalizing our roadmap and exploring various components of the proposed implementation (including Ocean); we are now seeking to hire two full-time developers to collaborate with me on this work and contribute to integration of Ocean and NEAR.

Project mutli-sig addresses

• Eth: 0xb39EB13E9B69809ed938842D5Ea1A89a97787315
  • NEAR: cannabis-genome.sputnik-dao.near

Proposal Title

Ocean Protocol on NEAR

Proposal One Liner

Establish traction and technical roadmap for implementation of Ocean on NEAR.

Proposal Description

• Write a report on the feasibility and timeline for deploying Ocean Protocol on Near
  • Outline onboarding experience for Cannabis Genome DAO’s integration of Ocean Market
  • Engage users on social media (likes, comments, follows, shares) through a series of educational & promotional posts about Ocean Protocol and how we plan to implement it (including retweeting posts made by @OceanProtocol and @OceanDAO_). Our current social media following is approximately:

Grant Deliverables

1. Technical integration roadmap and timeline for deploying Ocean Protocol on Near

2. Outline of onboarding experience for genetic and genomic data types

3. Engage our community through educational content about Ocean Protocol and how we plan to implement it.

Value Add Criteria

1. Usage of Ocean: We have an existing community of thousands of data generating cannabis cultivators that we work with at Delta Leaf and Cannabis Genome DAO who want a way to publish their data without compromising self-sovereignty.
  2. Viability — This round = 90%, overall = 75%
  3. Community active-ness: We intend to integrate with and/or follow-in the footsteps of other OceanDAO funded projects such as Algovera, Alga Wallet and DataUnion to improve user experience and onboarding. Elijah (flowscience) has been attending OceanDAO Town Halls regularly for approximately three months and has attended a few CTWG and PGWG meetings while preparing this application and building the Cannabis DAO community over that time.
  4. Adding value to the overall community: We will be expanding cross-chain support for Ocean Market to a vibrant new layer 1 ecosystem full of DAOs and communities that would be able to integrate Ocean based on the groundwork we lay.

Funding Requested

Wallet Address

0xb39EB13E9B69809ed938842D5Ea1A89a97787315

Thank you for this submission @flowscience, I’m just confirming that it’s properly registered into the system.

Hello, thanks very much for your proposal, to help out in the Ocean ecosystem.

For Ocean V3, Ocean already supports five production networks: Eth mainnet, Polygon, BSC, and EWC. Except Eth mainnet, each of these has fast(ish) tx settlements and low cost. More info here. For your Cannabis project, if you are looking for scale, there’s nothing stopping you from using one of these existing deployments.

However there is value to work on a NEAR deployment. I elaborate here, by describing what it takes to support a network, then how specifically you could help.

First, Here’s what’s needed to properly support a network:

1. Network has full EVM compatibility. Full = 100%, no less. Network and EVM part are in production.
  2. The network has ERC20 bridge functionality, in production. Bridge * EVM is in production too.
  3. There’s a legit deployment of OCEAN token to the network
  4. There’s a legit bridge for OCEAN between Eth mainnet and the network. It’s in production, and bridge * EVM is in production.
  5. The network has a DEX with an OCEAN pair, and enough liquidity so reasonably low slippage
  6. There’s a legit deployment of Ocean smart contracts to the network.
  7. Addresses of Ocean smart contracts are updated in contracts repo, and its related pypi packages etc. are updated
  8. Ocean middleware can see the network: Ocean Provider, Ocean Aquarius, ocean.js, ocean.py. Ensure Ocean Market can see the network too.
  9. Ocean docs are updated with network support. https://docs.oceanprotocol.com/concepts/networks/
  10. Blog post describing that it was done. Example.

As mentioned, the Ocean core team has already done this for five production networks. Here’s why only the Ocean core team: to keep all info above in sync (harder than it looks), and for obvious legitimacy. The core team can now do it for a new network in about 1 day x 3 people. We have only held off doing more because we’re working on shipping V4.

Ocean V4 will be coming out soon enough. At first, it will get deployed to the same networks as Ocean V3. After that, the plan is to deploy to more networks yet. We have a list of 10 networks; NEAR is on that list.

For the reasons given above, it makes sense for the Ocean core team to do the bulk of the work to support NEAR.

However there is groundwork that you can do, for this grant proposal:

• Do steps (1-8) on the NEAR Aurora testnet, and write a report on the results. (Consider this a fine-grained version of “report on the feasibility”)
  • Get people using Ocean on the testnet. (Consider this a refinement of “Engage users on social media”. The point isn’t to engage at level of social media; far better is at the level of people actually using Ocean.)
  • Do steps (1-5) on NEAR Aurora production net, working closely with Ocean core team on deploying OCEAN contracts in the production network

Then the Ocean core team will follow up on steps (6-10) on NEAR Aurora production network.

I recommend you update your proposal accordingly. If done, then I am supportive of it.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your constructive critical feedback and suggestions. I agree, the revisions you suggest provide clarity to my proposed roadmap while also being in better alignment with existing Ocean core team plans.

To better support the Ocean core team and lay groundwork for NEAR integration, I am revising the list of grant deliverables to be:

• Deploy OCEAN token, smart contracts and middleware on the NEAR Aurora testnet, and write a report on the results.
  • Get people using Ocean on Aurora testnet (CannaData.Market)
  • Begin working to deploy OCEAN smart contracts on NEAR Aurora production net, working closely with Ocean core team
1 Like

What do you mean by “middleware” ? Is it provider/aquarius/subgraph ?

When deploying on a new network, there are some constrains:

• full archive node RPC available (if not public, then a node needs to be hosted. that’s costly per month)
  • bridge Ocean token to that network
  • Aquarius (monthly cost)
  • Provider (monthly cost)
  • Subgraph (monthly cost, very resource intensive)

Deploying just the smartcontracts can be done in 10 minutes by OceanCore, and it’s the easiest task

1 Like

Thanks so much for your thoughtful questions and feedback regarding constraints.

Estimating ongoing costs for each of the middleware services (Aquarius, Provider and Subgraph) would be part of the research conducted on the Aurora testnet and be reported as one of the deliverables for this proposal. The following doc contains the hardware requirements and approximate monthly cost of hosting a NEAR rpc node:

Precisely how the ongoing burden of these costs will be supported is not yet clear at this point and could be researched further. A successful deployment of the proposed marketplace (CannaData.Market) could potentially generate enough revenue in commission to support the underlying hosting costs of a complete Ocean deployment on Aurora mainnet. General statistics about Aurora network usage can be found at the following link:

We are hopeful that the community of farmers, scientists and clinicians we’re working to onboard will add to the growth of transactions and users on Aurora via our implementation of Ocean market. However, despite my optimism regarding speed of adoption by the current community of potential users we are engaging, and the associated intention to build a regenerative economic system, it is not clear if/when at what point the proposed marketplace will become profitable and fully self-supportive financially.

I’ve been able to complete steps 1-4 on mainnet, however, I’m unable to deploy Ocean Token to Aurora testnet because it’s using Goerli. I was only able to find faucets for Ocean Token on Rinkeby and Ropsten.

Do you have any suggestions on what’s the best way to proceed? I’m thinking the two options are deploy Ocean to Goerli or use a different token as the base token in the marketplace on testnet.

Origin network:
Ethereum
Ethereum ERC-20 address:
0x967da4048cd07ab37855c090aaf366e4ce1b9f48
Metadata:
{ “name”: “Ocean Token”, “symbol”: “OCEAN”, “decimals”: 18 }

Deploy to NEAR
NEP-141 address:
967da4048cd07ab37855c090aaf366e4ce1b9f48.factory.bridge.near
NEP-141 metadata:
Icon:

Deploy to Aurora
Aurora ERC-20 address:
0x3564a4e03fe38fde627ed639b6d7d5dbe9ba2461
Aurora ERC-20 metadata:

This is what I recommend for now. Call it “fakeOCEAN” or something.