[Proposal] Maintain Ocean Protocol core component documentation

Key Project Data

• Name of project: Maintain Ocean Protocol core component documentations.
  • Proposal Wallet Address: 0x1491e29aDc7a1aa6F8a7e6da5aC0D77BcD7D859E
  • The proposal in one sentence:
    As Ocean core components that power the ocean economy are constantly evolving, I propose to maintain the documentation for a period of 3 months.
  • Which category best describes your project? Pick one or more.
    • Build / improve core Ocean software

Project Overview

• What problem is your project solving?

Ocean core components that power the ocean economy are constantly evolving. But, the documentation related to the changes in the Ocean tech stack is not maintained at the same pace. This creates a hurdle for the developers who want to develop applications using Ocean Protocol’s technology.

Currently, the docs related to Core Ocean projects like Aquarius, Ocean.js, Ocean.py, Contracts, Provider are not updated and thus, create an issue for developers who work on these projects. A developer has to wait for the docs to be updated or put their own time to go through the source code and changes in the new release to get their work done. This is a waste of valuable time for the developers.

Documentation is a very crucial part of any cutting-edge tech like Ocean Protocol. Documentation is the entry point for all the developers willing to contribute to the new technology. Ill-maintained docs cause more frequent developer churn. A well maintained and up-to-date documentation will help to save developers’ time and bring in more devs and dapps on Ocean Protocol.

Thus, I propose to regularly maintain all the README.md files, setup guides, dev posts, articles on medium, and all the other relevant channels.

What is the final product (e.g. App, URL, Medium, etc)?

• All the documentation of the Ocean protocol projects will be up-to-date.
  • Github repositories showcasing the use of Ocean libraries
  • Continuous maintenance of documentation of all the Ocean core components.

Project Deliverables - Category

• I would keep track of updates and changes in the following projects under Ocean Protocol on Github
  • I will work with Ocean Protocol’s core team to keep the documentation updated and help new developers with solving technical issues related to environment setup and library use.

Project Deliverables - Roadmap

ROI

• BANG
    • The project will save the time of the developers who use Ocean Protocol’s technology. Assuming that better documentation will save 20% of the time spent on getting started, troubling shooting, going through updates, in a week a full time developer working 40 hrs weekly will be able to save 8 hrs/week. So, in a month savings in terms of Ocean tokens will be 4 * 8 * 30 (hourly pay in $) * 0.5 (Token price/$) = 480 Ocean Tokens/developer. And, in a month 10 developers are benefited so, value = 4800 Ocean Tokens/month.
    • Good quality documentation will increase the outreach in the community and attract more developers and thus foster growth of the Ocean Ecosystem. Assuming that due to better documentation, 2 new developers/month start using Ocean Protocol’s technology and each developer generates a value of 5000 Ocean tokens/month. So, total value generated is 2 * 5000 = 10000 Ocean Tokens/month
    • Based on the above arguments, value generated = 4800 + 10000 = 14800/month. So, value generated for 3 months = 44400 Ocean tokens
  • BUCK
    • The 10,000 Ocean token grants will be used to maintain the documentation for 3 months.
  • CHANCE OF SUCCESS
    • I determine the chance of success to achieve the desired outcome is high based on the fact that I have previously worked with Ocean Protocol’s technology stack.
    • To put in numbers, 90%, though I would aim to complete the work with 100% completion status. I am leaving 10% as a chance of failure because of any unforeseen circumstances that might cause the delay in the delivery of the work.
  • FINAL ROI RATIO
    • BANG/BUCK = 44400/10000 = 4.4
    • 4.4* 90% (CHANCE OF SUCCESS) = 3.96

Team members

Akshay

• Role: developer
  • Relevant Credentials:
  • Background/Experience:
    • Currently pursuing Master’s degree in Information Technology, University of Stuttgart
    • Worked as a backend developer in trading applications at CLSA from July 2018 to Jan 2021.
    • Completed Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering from Pune Institute of Computer Technology, Pune in the year 2018.
    • I have knowledge and hands-on experience in Java, Reactjs, nodejs, python, NoSQL/SQL databases.

Additional Information

• Involvement with Ocean Protocol community so far:
    • Built PayFait under Data Economy Challenge (1st edition) and won the prize as well.
    • Completed the project datapolis.net under Ocean v3 program.
    • Involved in the Ocean Ambassador Program.
    • Working as a developer for Dataunion.app which is funded by Ocean Protocol under the Shipyard program.
3 Likes

I’m very pleased with the outcome of Akshay’s first round of documentation work (this proposal). He had a set of goals at the beginning, and he accomplished those goals, in a way that was truly useful for developers using Ocean. I had weekly syncs with Akshay (along with our VP Eng Alex Coseru), and he was responsive to our feedback.

Therefore I’m very pleased that Akshay is proposing to continue this work (see round 7). Akshay, Alex and I have iterated to help Akshay specify his upcoming work, in line with the Ocean roadmap. I support this initiative:)

1 Like

Hey @akshay - the format of the proposal template has changed, I think you have to do some changes (e.g. how much tokens are you requesting?).
Checkout the template here.

1 Like

Hi @Robin, yes I have used the new template here: Maintain Ocean Protocol core component documentation - Round 7.
This is the old proposal. :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, sorry for my confusion.

[Deliverable Checklist]

@AlexN I have updated the status.

1 Like

Hey!

its the mPowered team and we just published a DAO round 10 proposal and we will provide documentation on how to support multiple languages in the Ocean Marketplace. If we are approved, we will reach out to you and discuss how we can add the documentation that we created for our proposal to you.

Thanks

1 Like